Travel trips I learned the hard way..


My job demands some traveling through an extensive region which is the main reason I am frequently on the road. My last trips include Colombia, Mexico and Nicaragua. A few years ago for a guest post I put together a list of travel tips, based on experience, some of which I learned the hard way.

1. Take a summer scarf with you. Helps on planes when it gets too cold. If it rains you can cover your hair, if its too sunny you can also cover up. It can even double as a skirt. Possibilities are endless. It's the one item you won't regret packing. In Morocco my scarf kept sand out of my mouth.

 
2. Pack your sunglasses. They make you instantly chic. Cover your tired eyes. Protect your eyes from the sun.  In colder climates they keep your eyes from drying up while your are out walking. If your hair is not having a good day, they help you keep it in place as it doubles as a head band.


3. Take a secure taxi or where possible an Uber. If you have more than one bag to take care of as you arrive your destination don't take the metro or you might end up like me in Paris, robbed at the first metro station - because I wanted to save a few € or like in Colombia where taking a random taxi in the street made me pray like never before. Do not expose yourself.

4. Take deo, toothbrush, underwear and top in your carry on bagSo you won't end up like me, sleeping in someone else's piyamas, borrowing a top from a complete stranger and wearing the same underwear 2 days in a row after sleeping on the floor of the Punta Cana airport in the Dominican Republic.

5. Pack small valuables, like earrings, in your carry on hand bag. So you won't get them stolen from a checked bag like me on a trip back home from Caracas, Venezuela where they also stole my perfume, toothpaste and deodorant!


6. Take a big light fabric tote with you. It does not take precious space in your bag and comes in really handy. Worked marvels for me in the Barcelona, Buenos Aires, anywhere... Pick pockets are not too fond of these as you keep them close to your body. First place in it your wallet and camera, so it's at the bottom of the bag. You can throw in there a bottle of water and your scarf, also throw in any small purchases. So your hands are free :)

7. Common sense. If you're not going to do it at home, don't do it elsewhere ;) 

Originally posted here.
Linking up to E&M

12 comments

Laura B said...

These are all amazing tips! I always have a fabric tote packed for whatever I need!

PhotosbyCris Travel Fashion Lifestyle said...

Great tips here. Many thanks. Have a lovely day. xoxo Cris

http://photosbycris.blogspot.com.au/2017/07/10-things-to-do-in-currumbin-beach.html

Natalie S said...

Great tips! The taking a safe taxi or Uber was a really good wake up call for a trip I want to take soon!

So Alice said...

Great tips my dear! I try to be carreful during travel :-)

Jodie's Touch of Style said...

I've only now started carrying a scarf everywhere---it's so easy to pack and works in so many ways!!
XOXO
Jodie
www.jtouchofstyle.com

Dressed With Soul said...

Your travel tips are really good! Nobody should underestimate never the common sense :) Thanks a lot for sharing!
xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
www.dressedwithsoul.com

A Very Sweet Blog said...

Lorena, these are so good! Safety and security should definitely be a priority.
http://www.averysweetblog.com/

Наталья Белогловская said...

Interesting post!
http://beyoutiful.com.ua/?p=4176

Beauty Unearthly said...

Lovely post dear!

Kristin said...

I am so sorry to hear you've been robbed a few times! That sounds so scary! I do have to agree with you on your first point...a scarf is essential no matter where you're going. I always get chilly on planes, in cars, and in hotels. And it doesn't take room out of your bag when you carry it with you.
-Kristin
countdowntofridayblog.com

LyddieGal said...

I suppose if you travel often enough, you see it all! Can't believe someone would bother to steal toothpaste and deo!
Chic on the Cheap

lifesyle-tale said...

I travel quite often too and I appreciate your tips.
I already learned a lot but as they say, it is lifelong learning.
Have a beautiful week.

Love, Esther
https://lifestyle-tale.com/calla-flower-power-business-look/